Grace Farms Tour
Grace Farms, 365 Lukes Wood Rd. New Canaan, CT
The General Counsel will guide and execute the Foundation’s legal affairs, ensuring legal compliance and limiting risk exposure in a variety of internal and external matters. This role will advise, process, negotiate, and defend in all legal and risk compliance matters. In particular, this candidate will advise and partner with the President, the Board, and key leadership (Communications, Finance, HR, Operations, and Safety) around legal rights, obligations, and privileges.
The ideal candidate exhibits a passion and track record for protecting and shaping the evolution of scaling organizations. This is an excellent opportunity to put your broad and deep legal acumen to work for a mission-driven organization.
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to Foundation Leadership across a spectrum of topics
- Respond to all legal inquiries and claims directed at the Foundation
- Represent the Foundation, or oversee outside counsel, in litigation or other legal proceedings
- Work with internal human resource personnel to identify potential labor issues and devise strategies to ensure a safe and compliant working environment while minimizing risks to the Foundation
- Review and approve all legal documents and strategize, negotiate, and execute contracts with external partners, including non-disclosure agreements and intellectual property issues
- Partner with key leadership to troubleshoot concerns as they arise and proactively shape policy and best practices
- Keep abreast of Federal or State legislative changes that may affect the Foundation’s operations and update operational policy as required
- Continually communicate status and outcomes to the President and the Board
- 7-10 years of in-house counsel experience or experience advising corporate clients. Not-for-Profit counsel, employment counsel, and/or pro-bono experience is a plus.
- D. degree and member in good standing of a US state bar. Candidates that are not members of the Connecticut State Bar will apply for and receive in-house status within one year of the start of their tenure at the Foundation.
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations including: vendor contracts, labor law, litigation, corporate policy development, and compliance
- Proven ability to develop legal strategy/objectives and work collaboratively to implement them
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity, and gravitas
- Excellent judgment, interpersonal, communications, and analytical skills
- Track record of building trust and respect with key internal and external stakeholders including external legal counsel
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”